FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:27 pm
dgcpaphd

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

IANAL but IMO a customer would not need to "accelerate" their flying, they simply would have to show that they relied on the lifetime benefits assertions provided on UA's website. Even flyers who had only flown a small number of miles with UA should be considered. If a customer decided to fly UA based in part on the provision of future lifetime benefits for crossing MM thresholds they should reasonably expect those published lifetime benefits to be honored upon crossing the thresholds.
Hi HLGovFlyer:

Sorry, my post was too long and a bit confusing.

My post discussed those UA customers who chose to accelerated their flying to meet the million-mile mark as announced on united.com. Those people have an easier claim against UA if the million-mile benefits are not restored.

Further down in my post, in the example of the house benefit being withdrawn, I stated that these people (who did not reach million-mile status)through no fault of their own, should also be made whole even if they had not met the goal. I feel this way because these people did not make a voluntary choice of having their benefits retroactively breached and taken away. Therefore, UA owes some sort of reimbursement to these customers also.

Please read my post again and you will see that I agree with you.

A long post inherits certain disadvantages - they cause confusion.
-