FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are bloggers getting paid to fly?
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:21 pm
SANspotter
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by meFIRST
As a flyertalk member since 2000, (elite member since 1999 on various programs) I can attest that the scene has gone downhill, fast, ever since these blogs started to emerge circa 2002.

I personally dislike most of the bloggers for this reason.

I blame the bloggers for the devaluation / harder and harder to find inventory on what little seats there are left. And no, I don't mean SkyPesos. I mean all the programs. There was a time when LX F/SQ etc was easier to attain. Now? Fat chance. Its because they all make it easier to obtain and their so called "award consulting services" certainly doesn't help. In fact, it ruins it for everyone else..

I do though have a few blogs/forums I like, because I get actual real value from them. However,most these bloggers show only first class / business class pÖrn pics and provide little to no value, other than a credit card referral link at the bottom/side and google nonsense links. Talk about a turn off......

Are there any FT purists left? It seems as though everyone and their mother has a mileage blog these days.
It's not the fault of the bloggers. The fact of the matter is that the game is changing and this shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Everything evolves over time.

I like Ben's blog. His is the only one I read on a daily basis, as I feel that he's truly doing this for the love of airlines and travel. I never get the sense that he's overly pushy with the CC links and other deals. I don't care how he does it - I find it very entertaining and highly inspiring.

As others have said, I wouldn't care if he's getting "paid" by the airlines or hotels. That's extremely unlikley anyway, so I don't even think about it.

Ben's living the dream, and I tip my hat to him.