FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RyanAir: Israeli gov't thwarting Tel Aviv flights
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:59 pm
NYC2TLV

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Ryanair does indeed take some passengers from its competitors (though this effect is somewhat limited on routes where they favour way-out-of-town airports, i.e. Oslo/Torp, Paris/Beauvais, Frankfurt/Hahn), but their biggest impact is actually in growing [new] markets, or rather, creating markets where none previously existed. They have a knack for finding and creating new flyers, rather than just taking the flyers that are already using the incumbent airlines.
Agreed. Flying PFO-TLV will not hurt any of the Israeli carriers, it will simply generate new revenue for the economy. Same with DUB, LPL etc. The only places where they will have an effect on LY will be possibly in BRU, though CRL is not very convenient, as well as LON airports. I don't think that LY should fear Ryanair.

I think they should fear the increase in flights by AF from new bases as well as new SK services etc. Those used to fly with LY through ZRH or VIE. As such, LY loses more and more corporate customers who get projects in smaller European cities like DRS, which will never see Ryanair to TLV service. But they will see increased LH or AB.