FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inaugural AA963 777-300ER / 77W DFW-GRU 31 Jan 2013 (photos)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:13 pm
BizJet

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
F is far more different than J. J is still J, tight and restricted, where as you get far more personal space in F. You will know once you get onboard and actually try the products yourself. AA is also now doing a good job differentiating soft products between F and J
I'm obviously not saying that there isn't any space difference. But I am arguing that as J gets better, demand for F goes down. I think fewer and fewer corporate customers, for example, would pay for F nowadays when you can get a solid night's sleep in a business class flat bed and arrived refreshed. That leaves F for (a) the few still willing to pay a premium over J and (b) business class customers incentivized to fly AA by a upgrade to F.

Given the economics on the plane — every single F seat replaces 2.5 J seats — I would be surprised if the demand for first class fares plus the demand for J fares that would otherwise book away from AA if not for the ability to upgrade to F is sufficient to justify the cabin.