FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inaugural AA963 777-300ER / 77W DFW-GRU 31 Jan 2013 (photos)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:08 pm
BlissWorld
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by BizJet
Thanks for the pics! It looks like AA now has an industry-leading business class product.

However, the hard product in First Class now isn't very differentiated from business. In fact, in some of the pics, I had a little trouble telling if I was looking at F or J.

Based on the CX seat maps, AA could have fit roughly 28 J seats between the first and second set of doors, compared to 16 premium seats in the current configuration (8F + 8J).

I wonder if AA will really be able to sell enough F seats at a premium over J per flight to off-set the net loss of 12 premium cabin seats if AA went instead with a 2-class product (or 3 classes if you're counting MCE).

Now with a business class product that is ever closer to first class in terms of space and comfort, it's hard for me to believe that a F cabin is really worth it given the real estate it takes up on the plane.
F is far more different than J. J is still J, tight and restricted, where as you get far more personal space in F. You will know once you get onboard and actually try the products yourself. AA is also now doing a good job differentiating soft products between F and J

Also, I wouldn't exactly call it industry leading because those seats have been around for a while (CX). There are also other J products I prefer that give me more privacy like the staggered seats (DL, AB new J, TG A380 J, EX 380J, etc etc). I would say that AA is now comparable to other leading airlines.