FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are bloggers getting paid to fly?
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:35 pm
Astrophsx

Originally Posted by atxtravel
Every blogger should go on record to say where they get their points / miles from, and if they get paid to travel, or have a trust fund. Readers need to know if what they're being presented is a realistic scenario, because many would sign up for the CC having unattainable expectations.

Lucky is probably the worst of them all.

In his description he says he spends 100+ days in hotels and flies 300k miles a year. That's 12 times around the world, all in premium class. There's not enough credit cards out there to rack up that many miles, while burning them at this rate. One or two years, maybe, but then you stop being eligible. No way anyone can generate that many miles, even manufacturing spend. And how much would you have to make "travel consulting" to afford to pay for those flights? I'm pretty sure he's a trust fund kid.

Why should we care? Because if he's going to be selling a pipe dream to get card referral fees, he should probably come clean that what he does is unrealistic for the average person.

Also his blog doesn't even provide any new useful tips anymore, just bragging about another "product" that he tried. Who cares if the steak is tough on your first class flight?
I think he provides tips, but that his reviews are a bit jaded. I was just quickly reminded that this was someone in their mid-20's with the twitter update. I think that he has an opportunity to become a really refined travel journalist... maybe that speaks to the people who enjoy high end traveling... but that's not who his crowd is... it's people who save up miles to maybe go on a international trip in first class once or twice a year. That's why I brought up the food and alcohol reviews.

I'm just curious how he does it... just as some people have interest in hearing the pudding guy tell his story. I don't mind if he has a rich family or a trust fund. I will point out one thing you don't see these travel bloggers doing... staying at many places that are considered the "finest hotels." They are always staying at a place that has some sort of rewards program.

I will point out that he has only managed to eat at the Burj Al Arab...