FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking trains in India
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:30 am
PVDtoDEL

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Skyman65
FYI, we boarded our first train this morning (12333 Varanasi-Allahabad in 3A). The conductor greeted us at our seats and informed us that fares had increased as of Jan 22, and he needed to collect the difference from us. I guess that fares for reserved seats aren't guaranteed, and you must pay any difference upon boarding. In our case, the difference was a whopping 71% increase. I thought I was being scammed, but he looked official, and gave me a receipt. Later, I confirmed the new rate was accurate on the railway website.

I was concerned that all of our booked train travel would be hiked by a similar %. But I was relieved to learn that the rest of our legs only increased a small amount (Rs. 15-100 each).

So just a heads-up for those with seats booked prior to Jan 22...be prepared to pay the conductor onboard.
It's a government tax increase, which is why you had to pay it. If the base fare increased, you wouldn't have to pay.