FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Ticket Paid, Divorce Pending, What to do?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:57 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
You realize that 2 years of marriage is how long it takes to get a permanent green card instead of a provisional one, right?

She didn't suddenly go crazy, this was her plan the whole time.

Marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card is a criminal offense that can lead to significant jail time, if not deportation, so if your friend feels this is what happened to him, he might have the leverage of getting the soon-to-be-ex tossed back to her home country.
I rather suspect she's in for a rude surprise here--last I knew at least (and I very much doubt the rules have gotten more lenient) a green card issued within two years of marriage is provisional and another application is needed after two years. For us that was nothing but a formality (she had followed me through two job relocations by then) but it did have to be done.

Of course, she might claim all sorts of things in response, so this is definitely a case where you friend should consult not only a divorce attorney, but a divorce attorney with experience in divorces involving marriage to a recent immigrant.
Yup, she might be going to claim abuse to try to stay here once she realizes the green card problem.