FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Ticket Paid, Divorce Pending, What to do?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:31 pm
jmastron

Originally Posted by DocTravel
He paid for the tickets as she does not work and has not since the marriage. Also, they are only into the marriage for 2 years thus far. Living togther only for a year in the USA as she came from another country in Asia as a wife of a USA Citizen.

Good ideas. I do believe she does not care about the tickets for now and she does not have a lawyer due to the fact I just posted above and the lack of money.
Outside of the potential issue of immigration fraud, in at least community property states a ticket bought during the marriage with money he earned during the marriage would be considered community property. Presumably those GPUs were also earned during the marriage. Doing anything to her ticket could easily end up paying the cost of a full fare last minute first class seat.

Let's say they had 2 cars, bought during the marriage (but yes, bought with "his" money), and he finds hers at the curb and trashes it to the point of being totalled -- it's entirely likely he'd be held liable for at least the cost of replacing it on the spot. While we can argue the value of an advance purchase, upgrade coupon, etc, is less, a judge might not see it that way if she says "my trip is next week; I'm ready and want to go".

He should get a good lawyer now and ask these questions before doing anything.