FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guesting Into Lounge - Etiquette
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:46 pm
zpaul

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Never met this person before - they just happen to be at terminal at the same time so offered to guest me in
It's been a while since I've been the guest, but as someone who has been the "host," this is my take.

See how well you hit it off (or don't) when you meet outside the lounge. If it feels like there's good conversation to be had and he/she is up for it, then stick around. If not, I would ask if I can get her/him anything to show my appreciation and then head my own way.

At the AC locations, if I get a drink coupon I will always try to pass it to the person guesting me in.

As the "host," all I really expect is a friendly "thank you" and that the person I've guested in behaves appropriately. Membership can be revoked if a guest gets out of line, which is a big reason more people don't guest in strangers. I met a girl at the Qantas gate at LAX a few years back and asked if she'd like to be my +1 in the lounge. Fast forward an hour or so and she's getting unfriendly looks from the lounge staff as she stumbles to get her 6th or 7th drink, and I was spoken to about guest "appropriateness." I suggested we get something to eat, we left the lounge, and I returned 30 minutes later unaccompanied.