FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA3 LCY-JFK to lose US preclearance in Shannon [from 28 October 2012]
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:10 am
SpurMan

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
OK - why is this service of clearing US Customs and Immigration being offered in Ireland only? Why is it not offered here and what is stopping it?

I can recall that it was trialled at LHR and offered by Pan Am, TWA, and BA passengers (1988 comes to mind) - I am honestly unsure if VS were even at LHR back then. They did this in T3 and I imagine in T4 - I was only just in BA as BCAL were taken over in 1988 so how come alone in Europe Ireland has this facility?
Probably down to pax numbers. There's only a few flights daily to the US from SNN and DUB, whereas the number of daily flights from LHR to US destinations is several dozen. So to spread the pax out over the US destinations (even if they only have one lane open when a couple of 747s roll up together and disgorge 600 people) probably makes some sense rather than do it at LHR where you will have thousands (and probably still only one lane open for half a dozen 747s!)