FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta and new DL.com Profiles A Lot About You
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:19 pm
TheMadBrewer

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by bennos
What you call "opaque" handling is "traditional" web design -- each time you click on a link, you wait a few seconds while your browser talks to a server, the server generates a new page from scratch, the page transfers over the internet, and your browser renders it. Not the fastest of operations.

What Delta is doing is very, very, very, very common, and is how pretty much every modern web site operates. The server delivers the initial page to your web browser. However, when you click on many (but not all) links, your browser only requests a small bit of information from the server (in this case, the json file with all your demographic information), and only re-renders the portion of the page that needs updating. This is much faster and more responsive to the user.

You can see this on the main delta.com page. When you click "My Trips" and you get the spinning thing before your next trip renders, that's what's happening. Compare vs some other link where the entire page refreshes.

Technically, there's nothing "unsafe" happening here, no matter how freaked out people are in seeing their data. Privacy issues (including sharing this data with corporate partners) are another topic.
It's not that Delta has my (guessitmated) home value in their database, but there is no reason I can see that it would be needed on the client (browser) except to send to a third party (for marketing, adds, whatnot). If DL is making a decision about something and the home value (and some of the other pieces of data) is relevant -- say searching for vacation packages -- there is no reason they can't do that on the back side (server). The stuff that is related to DL (mqms, sky club, etc) OK, fine -- I can see that might make the website respond faster (fewer "calls home").

DOB is a grey area -- since it is needed if you buy a ticket but there is no reason they couldn't pre-fill that field the same way they do name, credit card info and so on.

I am sure they are sending this info to a third party website.