FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronics off when the door is closed, but FA uses e-reader
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:47 am
freshairborne

Originally Posted by Michael D
In the days of 10 lb laptops (<1990) no one sold a computer which had a transmitters/radios in them. So this happened on the flight when allowed electronics were allowed to be used?

Do you see any 90 degree swings because I've seen people trying to use there phone's in flight/ heard them ringing as we landed?
It was probably 10 years ago or more, while flying an A-320. I don't know what the computer was, what it's componentry was, or anything else about it, other than when it was on, but it caused a navigation anomaly. I don't know what current electronics do or don't do with regards to aircraft systems. What I do know is that they can't be legally used on aircraft right now. That's enough for me. As I said earlier, I'm not a test pilot. If I don't see any obvious indications that someone is using their phone or other device, that doesn't mean the device is having no effect on any part of the aircraft.

I fly the planes and comply with every possible rule set forth by the FAA, FCC, NTSB, UAL, and every other acronym when I do. When someone uses an electronic device, they're not respecting the same tenets that I do. I assume that if I showed the same blatant disregard to my responsibilities as the captain of the plane they're riding on that they do by violating law that would very easy to comply with but for their own personal convenience, or maybe their own ignorance, they'd probably be lawyered up via their cellphones before we blocked into the gate.

FAB