FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:01 am
josephstern
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zhaobao
I would differ. Spent my last day on a trip to Myanmar in Dec 2011 in Yangon and decided to walk into Monsoon for a lovely lunch after a walking trip of downtown. Here is my report
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n.html#REVIEWS

I noticed that there are two camps of people with very different opinions about the restaurant. I happen to fall into the camp who love the place. Not sure if the quality has changed since I visited 1 year ago.

It was very interesting that they would take USD at Monsoon, but we used Kyats instead. Then we were counting on the amount of kyats left in our pockets before leaving the country and decided that we could only afford to eat at Aung Mingalar Shan Noodles that evening. It was a lovely experience having noodles for New Year's Eve dinner and watching the world go by. Please enlighten me - do they really serve Shan food ? The menu looks quite Chinese-inspired. We were even speaking to the owner in Mandarin Chinese - she is the daughter of immigrants from Yunnan province if I remember correctly. The food did not differ much from what we would have in Hong Kong/Mainland, but it was the chatting with the owner and watching people going about their routines that made the experience interesting/unique.

That's a different shan noodle restaurant than the one I went to, so I can't speak to that.

As far as Monsoon, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I didn't see that they even served hamburgers, but had I seen that, that would have been a sufficient red flag to keep me away. To me, that means they cater to tourists. I could eat at the hotel for that.