FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 777's clip wings at IAD
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:58 pm
ric_wx

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Those gates at Dulles are horrid. Still cannot believe that they would park two 777s side by side.

I don't know... I think that UA should just fly out of there domestically only. Other than the locals who might get inconvenienced, EWR is a much more modern airport and allows for shorter connection times as well (and will get even better when UA abandons terminal A)
IAD could never survive on domestic travel alone. Many of the domestic routes today are only viable because they feed the international routes. Take one away and the other disappears quickly. Besides, with all of the international competition at IAD, no one in their right mind would want to connect in EWR (wx delays anytime it's not sunny). Remember it's the short RJ routes that get cancelled first when things backed up. Not the way to start or end a long trip.

Originally Posted by dc.marathoner
My friend's flight UA 924 to LHR has been cancelled. UA didn't provide any explanation.
When they are short a bird, the TATL segment with the lowest load factor of the night is likely to get whacked. Plus, there are fewer onward connections from LHR and plenty of birds back to the US the next day to make up for the lost seats on the return. So, either 918 or 924 gets cut in this instance.