FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A wee trip to South East Asia - GLA-SIN in EK Y, Bali on VF and Kuala Lumpur by bus.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:05 pm
z3rb

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BNEFlyer
Nice report, glad you're enjoying SIN, it's one of my favourite cities. Out of curiosity though, why didn't you fly QR or KL from SIN-DPS? They'd have to be better options that TR or JQ?

You can purchase duty free when arriving into Australia as well, it's great to restock the bar when coming home.

Have fun in Bali!
Thanks. I'm not sure why but I wasn't aware KL was an option. Looking now, I see that it's about the same price, too. Oh well.

Flight VF241
Route: SIN-DPS
Date: 11/01/2013 - 07:35
Vehicle: A320

One of the 4 alarms woke us up. 4am. Lovely.

I didn't feel great. My friend didn't feel great. That's a bit of an understatement really. The taxi was here, so we went to it. I don't remember much of the taxi ride so I must've fallen asleep on the way. It was S$50 (5/10 VFMBWS™) from NTU campus to SIN. We checked in then went to Burger King for breakfast.

Went through passport control, security is at the gate which I don't like as much as before airside. There's an outdoor smoking area at SIN which is nice. Checked out the duty free prices for my way home to GLA. Then we waited at the gate.

Not feeling too hot this morning. Well a little bit too hot. Because it's 20 degrees at 6:30am. What's up with that?

Boarding time.

I like A320s. This was was nice enough. Seats were comfortable but the legroom was a bit crappy.

After about 20 minutes in the air some chocolate roll thing was distributed. Neither of us felt ready for food yet so I can't comment on it, but it was nice to be offered food - even if just that - on a budget flight.

This is when things got a little funny. My friend said to me that he needed to throw up. "Oh God," I thought, "Please make it to the bathroom."

He made it to the bathroom, however he felt it wasn't all that important to close the door. I saw him vomiting from the bathroom mirror. Everyone in seats D, E, and F saw him vomiting from the bathroom mirror.

And then he was gone. He just wasn't there. I was confused. But then the air hostesses were going mental.

I put my face in my palm in shame. I can never fly VF again.

He'd fainted, which is something he'll never live down. It'll go down in my peergroup's folklore like the time my other friend put it in the wrong h- never mind.

I was asked to help him. The main purser lady said it was just low blood pressure, but little did she know it was actually just a raging hangover.

At least he got to sit in the SPECIAL CHAIR.

Other than that it was an uneventful flight. The approach to Bali is stunning, but I was a little disappointed that you approach from the East rather than the West. The runway sticks out to sea in the West which would've been cool.

In Indonesia you need a Visa On Arrival, at a cost of $25 USD or the equivalent in IDR, around 200,000RP if I recall rightly. Border control wasn't an issue.

Be aware when flying into DPS, something I've never seen before but I'm probably just ignorant to the ways of the world, is that there's self-appointed "porters" who look official and will grab your bags and carry then through customs for you and then demand a hefty tip. I gave him 100,000RP (About £6, a 1/10 VFMBWS™) but he demanded more. I got my bags back from him at this point. Just something to be aware of and to avoid. We did skip the queue at Customs thanks to him though. Whatever.

Then there's finding a taxi, which was pretty easy. There's a taxi booth on the right as you exit the terminal, however I'm told that if you walk a little bit further and find the BlueBird taxi rank then it's better. Certainly when you're on Bali watch out for the taxis. Only get BlueBird ones when hailing, as they seem to be the only ones to use their meters. And there's loads of other taxis who have logos that look suspiciously like the BlueBird ones so keep an eye out. The taxi from DPS to the place we were staying at was 120,000RP for around a half hour trip, not a bad price by Western Standards (a whopping 6/10) but the metered taxi on the way back was around 40,000 (9/10).

And then we were at the Pat-Mase villas where we'd be staying.