FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:46 pm
Orion

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Doubletree Hotel taxi rip off

I spent two nights at the Doubletree Old Town last weekend and had an enjoyable stay; however, it all turned sour when I departed. I had a 5:55 a.m. departure on KLM at IST. I inquired about airport transportation at the front desk to leave the hotel at 3:30 a.m. The reception staff told me to expect to pay about 20 euros for the early morning ride to the airport with the hotel taxi. As the concierge walked me to the taxi I inquired once more about the fare and he said it would be 18 to 20 euros. This sounded reasonable to me.
My driver was an older man who never said a word all the way to the airport. There was little traffic and the trip time was very short - 20 minutes I estimate. The taxi was labled "Doubletree" on the side. Upon arriving at the terminal the driver said I owed him 45 euros. I was shocked. I asked twice more and he insisted the fare was 45 euros. I paid.
I felt ripped off. I don't like being told one price and then charged more than twice that amount. This has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I won't be staying at the Doubletree Old Town again and I can't recommend it for this reason.