FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:57 pm
jasonvr

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
As I said previously the problem of bags going missing is far less prevalent (and there is much less you can do about it) than that of bags being opened and stuff removed. My advice is to make your bags as tamper-proof as possible. Don't check a bag with a zip that can be opened with a ballpoint pen and then resealed. Oyster shell bags are best. Or consider having your bags plastic wrapped. At the very least ensure that bags have the zip fastener locked in place.
Thanks for the advice and confirmations. Sounds like I have it more or less correct. As far as the bags, we usually take two quality rolling duffels (Eagle Creek and High Sierra). We actually don't even have hard side luggage...

I had never even considered a device to prevent the zippers from moving. I always use zip-ties as my luggage lock since they are cheap and easy (and if the TSA or Customs wants in, they easily can and I can tell). It never even dawned on me until you mentioned it that someone could open the zipper, take things out and use the locked together zippers to heal the split they created Looks like I'll be looking into something to lock the zippers in place.

For those looking for an example of splitting the zipper, see here - http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...rap-p-201.html