FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - does Hyatt discount 2nd room for kids?
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:46 am
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by antonius66
What I meant was, I see no valid reason to offer a price this way to a family booking two rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids, but not to someone like me, who for example is doing the travel planning for family and/or friends and books 3 rooms for 6 adults, or 2 rooms for 4 adults (both of which I have done many many times and always involve a room for me). I bring the business to whatever hotel I choose, since I am making the decision. To me it is no different than someone with two kids...we both take two rooms. If I asked for a discount on the second room, I would get laughed at...hell, asking for Diamond benefits to be extended to the second room is rough enough. I am still bringing business that would be taken elsewhere etc. If I could just get a stay/room credit for all rooms that I pay for, that would be enough reward to me for bringing all that revenue to the chain (Hyatt in this case).
I understood what you meant. It seems that Hyatt has determined that selectively discounting to families with young children in this case increases revenue. Of course, if Hyatt offered a published discount to anyone booking multiple rooms they would be leaving cash on the table by discounting to people who otherwise would have paid higher rates. Hotel companies sell the same product (rooms) to different groups of people at different rates all the time through corporate rates, third party websites, opaque channels, senior rates, third night free promotions, advanced purchase rates, award nights, etc... The reason for these pricing strategies is to maximize revenue.

If you need to book multiple rooms at a property it may be possible to negotiate a bit, but the reasons for not offering a published multi-room discount are quite obvious.