FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StingWest
I tried it (yesterday UA 931) LHR->SFO.

Price was $14.95 slower and $19.95 faster speeds.

Experience was just ok. I signed up for the slower version and tried it in two parts of the flight:

(a) About 2 hours into the flight (Greenland area): speed was miserable: 1.7 SECOND latency time, about 400kbps download and only 10 kbps upload. Although the download measurement seems ok, a technical user will know that such a long latencies makes most internet browsing virtually unusable. I was able to send small textual emails about 40% of the time - otherwise got a timeout (all speeds measured several times by speedtest.net)

(b) I tried it again over Canada and the speeds were better: Latency about 1 second, download about 700-800 kbps, upload also about 800 kbps. Browsing usable, and could send and receive small emails without problem.

SO, a mixed bag overall...
Anyone tested the "faster" connection?

Seems like the slower connection will work just fine for most business needs-- emails-- so long as you aren't using a webmail interface. The upload speed is troubling because people do have to send attachments from time to time.