FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:46 am
aster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Aster, I switched to the DBS Altitudes Visa six or so months ago as it gives the higher miles than the Citi Premiermiles Visa I was using and is more accepted than the DBS Altitudes Amex.

The UOB PRIVI looks attractive due to:

a) For DBS Altitude the $2,000 per month threshold means you will earn 9,600 krisflyer miles less than the UOB Privi for the same spend ( assuming spend higher than $2,000 per month):

b) For overseas spend the 2.5 miles for S$1 spend that UOB offers is really good. The only problem seems to be the higher FX fees AMEX seems to charge compared to Visa

I might apply for the UOB PRIVI. They are throwing in a free Kenneth Cole watch if you dont already have a UOB credit card. They have a one day approval process, so may not be too bad in terms of paperwork!
I've been considering it but I've managed to kept the number of CCs I have to a minimum, which is one. All my other cards are debit cards aimed at the various offers (dining or other) that numerous banks here have.

I would have gladly gone for the Citi Platinum card but they pulled it unfortunately. This UOB Amex card is certainly interesting, but if we look at the number of miles they give and take a round number for spend like S$10k then the difference is just under 5.3% extra miles:

S$10,000 charged to card per month (excluding the $5 issue):

1. DBS: 2,400 (first S$2k at 1.2) + 12,800 (1.6 miles thereafter) = 15,200 miles
2. UOB: 16,000 miles

That's 800 miles per statement period. If this was about DBS Altitude Amex vs UOB Privi Miles Amex it would be worth considering a switch. But I'm currently moving from the Altitude Amex to the Visa version, so I'm wondering whether the increase in transactions that I will be able to charge to my card will make up for those 800 miles? Technically if I add $500 extra spend to the Visa card then the number of miles will be equal.