FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAD-CUN upgrade - CPU, buy-up, miles or RPU?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:07 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My guess is that this is a relatively easy CPU, even for Silvers.
Really?

About a year ago, I was on a Full C ticket on that one, took a VDB and got rebooked in Y the next day, but on the PR1 (top waitlist) for C. I got the last seat at the gate, then ran into a fellow 1K FTer on the jet bridge. She did the walk of shame back to Y as 1K on a revenue ticket. Yes, CUN-IAD.

The leisure Mexico, Caribbean, and leisure Latin routes often surprise me. I've missed or sweated out several of them (SJU, STT, CUN, BZE, etc.), some of them several times, as both 1K on UA and Plat on DL.

There must be significant mileage redemptions and/or paid C leisure business that eat up the premium inventory.

That said, it's not a long flight, so I really wouldn't worry about it. CUN-IAD is shorter than IAD-DEN, and it's more miles to upgrade since it's "Mexico." Not the best value, IMO, unless you're going onward (e.g., CUN-IAD-SEA-ANC).

So to answer the OP's question, I would just CPU it if you're only flying CUN-IAD. 3 hours in E+ is tolerable, IMO.