FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lanka Trip Report: Tea Trails, Amanwella, Amangalla
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:16 am
aa213bb

Tea Trails: Summerville & Norwood

Tea Trails is an absolutely magnificent set of properties, and a truly 5* experience.

While we only stayed in Summerville, at each bungalow we encountered such lovely staff, always greeting us with genuinely welcoming smiles, and eager to ensure we had an amazing experience.

One example I’ll give you is, our last night at Summerville, we asked if they would make us a fire while we enjoyed our apertifs. Immediately our butler sprang into action and got one roaring … only to have it quickly die out once he went to check on some other guests.

Seeing this, he again got it started and going for us before once more checking on some other guests. Of course what happens? Yup … it died out once more.

We were laughing, and when he came ‘round once more we begged him not to try again; dinner was soon to be served, and it’s a real production getting a fire started with just wood and newspaper! But naturally he was insistent, and wouldn’t you know … the moment he got it started, someone else called us over to the table as dinner was ready. And of course as we started our meal the fire really took off.

We laughed with our butler, joking that, naturally, the fire would finally catch once we moved away – I feel like I just looked away for a minute, and when I looked back up he and some others were bringing a table inside from the porch, setting it by the fire, setting service, and insisting we come over to enjoy.

To me, this epitomizes the attitude and willingness of Tea Trails staff, who are truly pleased to go the extra mile if it will bring a smile to a guests’ faces.

As I mentioned we were quite fortunate to visit each of the Tea Trails Bungalows, and as there are not many thorough reviews online (especially with pictures), we thought we’d do our best to help out. So, here are some pictures of each lodge, as well as a list of pros and cons as we saw them.

I already posted, up-thread, pictures of the common areas and outdoor spaces of Summerville. We also were fortunate to see the other three rooms (though one was being made-up at the time so we did not get any photos).

SUMMERVILLE:

Garnet (Garden Room)

Garnet 1

Garnet 2

Garnet 3

Middleton (Twin Room)

Middleton 1

Middleton 2

Middleton 3

We felt that the Shuttleworth Master Suite is the best room at Summerville; the sitting area provides separation from the adjacent Garnet room (though these two rooms do have an adjoining door, which may be both a pro and a con), there is lovely outdoor relaxing space (though if the guests in Garnet walk from their garden to the pool outside, they have to go through the Shuttleworth outdoor areas)

Our next choice would be Garnet – it, too, has a fireplace, along with a lovely sitting area, and while in the front of the house, it’s at the end of the driveway while Middleton is on the opposite side of the hallway and thus guaranteed to look onto anyway coming/going from the entrance of Summerville. I also liked its bathroom more than the one in Middleton.

Lastly, for us, would be a tossup between Middleton and Goddard.

Summerville PROS:
- Lovely views of Castlereagh Reservoir
- Quietest of all the Bungalows
- Smallest of all the Bungalows
- Covered outdoor dining facing the reservoir
- One open space for the common area(s), with massive windows/doors looking out onto the reservoir
- “Darker” than the other bungalows, providing a pleasing atmosphere ... especially on colder days

Summerville CONS:
- If you are not in your room, there are no separate, cozy nooks for you to enjoy
- No real views to speak of from the rooms
- No real gardens, especially when compared with the other three bungalows
- A bit darker than the other lodges (at least, Norwood and Castlereagh); we enjoyed this, and felt it gave us an enjoyable atmosphere, but if you like bright and airy this may not be the best option

NORWOOD:

Here are some general pictures of Norwood …

Norwood 1

Norwood 2

Norwood 3 (Gardens) {Main Tea Trails Building in upper right}

Norwood 4 (Herb Garden)

Norwood 5 (View of Tea Fields & Plantation)

Norwood 6 (Sitting Room 1)

Norwood 7 (Sitting Room 2)

Norwood 8 (Dining Room)

Trevaldwyn (Twin Room)

Trevaldwyn 1

Trevaldwyn 2

Trevaldwyn 3

Irvine (Garden Room) {caveat: there’s some confusion if the following pics are Irvine, or Andrew – any clarification would be GREATLY appreciated}

Irvine 1

Irvine 2

Irvine 3

Unfortunately we did not get to see many rooms, as Norwood was pretty full. That being said, we certainly were able to formulate a few opinions while there. Those who have stayed (Larkin), by all means, please chime in with your thoughts.

In terms of rooms, again, the Hazel master suite would seem to be the best choice (just based on location). It appears to be the most private, which would be of great importance to me in a Bungalow we both found to be our least favorite (though still wonderful).

As it’s been a month and a half, and some of my pictures have gone corrupt, I might mix up a few of the room names – I know, I know, no small detail. Again, I’m hoping those who have stayed will chime in with corrections/opinions.

That being said, Jeffery would seem to be the worst of any of the Tea Trails rooms. While I did not see the room itself, the “private” outdoor space is just a couple of doors opening out to the wraparound porch, with only a privacy hedge separating one from those outside. Too, it is located right next to the dining room, so would seem to have potential for being in a bustling location.

Norwood PROS:
- Good central location to see all bungalows
- Set in the Tea Fields
- Good for those with kids, given the large lawn
- Lovely Gardens
- Many public rooms to tuck away into and enjoy the day
- Heart of Tea Trails Organization (should one need anything)

Norwood CONS:
- Just up the road from Tea Factory
- No views of Castlereagh Reservoir
- Did not seem to be any great views from any of the rooms
- Seemed, from our poking about, to have a lack of privacy based on layout
- Many public rooms means not much in the way of openness
- Outdoor dining is not covered; so in inclement weather one’s only option is dining in the smaller, dark dining room (note: tables outside are covered, but the patio is not)
- Heart of Tea Trails Organization (seemed busier than all other bungalows)

Up next … Castlereagh

Last edited by aa213bb; Jan 16, 2013 at 3:08 pm