FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Upgrades - Upgrade Anytime - Never Happening
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:53 pm
golfingboy
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Finkface
Now I am really confused. I don't understand what this means.
Most airlines have expanded inventory for customers who buys expensive fares [usually refundable fares] or gives them top priority for upgrade. Basically, the gist of this gripe here is that the OP buys the expensive fares expecting to get top or near top priority as it is published as "instant upgrade" fare. Now, he learned that 75Ks on instant and NON-instant fares have top priority once we are inside the upgrade window [120 hours out]. Therefore, your instant upgrade fare is worthless in some ways. As matter of fact, MVP who books an instant upgrade fare before the Gold has the priority.

This also speaks true for Golds who purchase full Y fare 40 hours before departure who will end up BELOW all elites [possibility including DL elites as we are not clear about when AS adds DL elites to the upgrade list]. Yes, a Gold on Y fare booked 24 hours out will be below an MVP on G fare.

AS's system prioritizes upgrades based on time added to waitlist NOT fare class or status when it comes to MVPs/Golds/DL Elites.

On other airlines, status then fare class will dominate the upgrade list, not time added to the waitlist.

All of this assumes U space was never available from booking until getting the upgrade at the gate.

OP, your general understanding is accurate, but your upgrade priority list is wrong. Please refer to this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html for more information on how upgrades work on AS.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised that down the road, AS will add fare classes to the upgrade prioritization, however, such feature will not change customer spending patterns that much [I think, as often those customers who purchases last minute fares will still buy last minute fares no matter how the program is designed]. So, is it worthwhile for them to pour in the energy, funds, and resources to implement this into the upgrade program coding? Only those that have access to customers spending patterns, market research, and works in IT will know

Last edited by golfingboy; Jan 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm