FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FNT-ARN (UA E-) for NYE, a stay at a jumbo jet and prison, & some pre-travel follies
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 am
BThumme

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Outbound: FNT-CLE-EWR-OSL-ARN

Boarding passes in hand (not in passbook, unfortunately), it was time for the adventure to begin. What stories would I have to tell my friends and family when I got back? Only time would tell.

The nice thing about Bishop International Airport is that it is a regional airport, slightly bigger than most regionals, but still small enough where you now it should be a relatively hassle free experience.

As to be expected, the airport was pretty quiet.

I was excited for my first flight because it was my first time I believe ever being on a turboprop plane. I originally had seat 3A, but upon checking my phone one last time I saw that seat 4A had opened up - the "exit" row, and I put exit in quotes because I don't actually think there is any extra legroom on these planes, and if there is, it's very hard to notice (I'm 6"2).

I only had a 36 minute layover in CLE, which was intentional, because I wanted to spend as much time in the lounge in EWR as I could. My other option was an hour layover in CLE, and then only having about 2 hours in EWR.

After saying my good-byes, I proceed to the security checkpoint where there is exactly 0 people in line. It's kind of surreal. I walk up, flash my passport, do the security thing, and am good to go. Total time: 2 minutes.

Now the way Flint is set up, once you clear security you are on the main floor, where there is a T shaped setup (coming from the bottom of the T). All these are for use with jetbridges, however my gate is not one of these 10 or so gates. Instead I get to go down the stairs before the path breaks off. There are a total of four gates on the ground, although I think gate is a bit of a glorified term. I actually prefer the term "corner of the ground floor" to be a bit more accurate.

Gate!

I have about 2.5 hours to pass, so I decide to run up and get a hamburger and fries. In my process to kill time I somehow slowed it down. I got back and there was about 2 hours and 15 minutes still to go. I busted out a staple of my trips - a puzzle book. I usually find these in walgreens/rite-aids for about $5. I'm expecting this flight to be completely empty, but slowly and steadily people begin to show up, to the point where the flight is going to be going out full.

I was tracking the inbound flight - the plane was coming from CLE, turning around, and going back to CLE. The plane was supposed to land in Flint around 1:10pm, but on my app and united I noticed the flight hadn't left CLE yet, and was void of status updates. My phone finally beeped that the flight was going to leave CLE 25 minutes late, and I began to think about what might happen.

When I say I had a 36 minute layover, that means 36 minutes from when I was supposed to land to when the next flight was supposed to take off (Not depart the gate). Never having been on a flight this late, I'm wondering what will happen. I'm not overly concerned because there is another CLE-EWR flight leaving an hour after the CLE-EWR flight I'm on.

The plane eventually comes in late, and we finally get to board 15 minutes later than the scheduled takeoff.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Flight: United 4820 (commutair dba United express)
Service: Flint, MI - Cleveland, OH
Aircraft: de Havilland Dash 8
Seat: 4A (exit row...i suppose)
Scheduled Gate Departure: 1:42 PM
Actual Gate Departure: 2:05 PM
Scheduled Gate Arrival: 2:41 PM
Actual Gate Arrival: 3:05 PM

I have the exit row to myself, which is nice, but I don't actually think there is any extra leg room on the dash 8's. When we are in the air, I inform the flight attendant of my situation and ask if they can get an update for me or see if theres anyway they can radio CLE that I'm on a very short connecting flight; maybe I could be whisked away in a golf cart. I didn't realize it, but boarding for the CLE-EWR flight was about 2:25.....shortly after we had taken off. The gate departure was supposed to be 3:17, and we were projected to land about 3:05. As we land, the flight attendant asks those that don't have tight connections to wait for those of us who do so that we can make it. I ask the flight attendant if there is anything special (carts, holding for us, etc)...she doesnt know.

"So am I running?"
"Yeah I guess so"

"Awesome..."

So we land, I hustle out of the plane, then proceed to fast walk from outside up the stairs into Hopkins. As I enter the terminal, I hear a gate agent say to somebody behind me "Newark? You're not going to make that" - turns out there was somebody else connecting as well. The woman says to go see a CSR to re-book.

Non-sense I said. I have 3 minutes to make it from terminal D to terminal C in an airport I've never been to. I can do this. And with that thought, I began the first airport sprint of my life.

Bolting down the D corridor, spotting a sign for terminal C, I'm (literally) running on adrenaline. It's actually kind of a cool feeling. I knew that if I didn't get on, there was a flight in an hour I could get on so this really wasn't an end all to end alls.

But running in an airport is one of those things that you would think is unacceptable (in terms of safety/security), but yet is completely acceptable - kind of like when men have to go out shopping and get items for women. People stop and stare at you, sure, but they're all thinking "Do what you have to do man. Good Luck."

Down the escalator I go, and through what seems like a mile-long underground tunnel, up through more stairs, and then a sharp turn to my gate.

I run up to the agent, asking if there is still time.

"Flint?"
"Yep"
"Okay. Sounds like there is a couple more coming with you"

I didn't see anyone, no one else made the run. I was guessing they tried to get re-booked (if they knew about the later flight).

Out of breath and sweating, I make it down onto the plane in seat 27A. Sighing, out of breath, thinking I just did something special. Apparently we are going to sit at the gate for an extra couple minutes for "a connecting flight." Turns out the plane was going to wait for us afterall. About 5 minutes later the pilot comes on and says that we are being issues about a 15 minute hold from the tower; apparently, someone traveling to EWR and onto an international destination left their passport in their checked luggage, and that we would have to wait for them to go down and pull it out.

I would have been fine with walking it appears. Anyways sitting in on the plane in CLE, looks like I was finally done with the craziness.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Flight: United 588
Aircraft: Airbus 319
Service: Cleveland, OH - Newark, New Jersey
Seat: 27A
Scheduled Gate Departure: 3:17 PM
Actual Gate Departure: 3:31 PM
Scheduled Gate Arrival: 5:04 PM
Actual Gate Arrival: 4:56 PM

Sat down, covered in sweat, but very satisfied, I was ready to relax. Then a man, from the same Flint flight, informs me I'm in his seat. Uh....27A I have, I'm positive...

I sat in 28A. In front of me, 27A was open. The man says he will take 27A, however does not look happy in doing that. The one row makes all the difference apparently. In CLE, the weather is gloomy, which always makes me appreciate what it is like when you emerge above the clouds. It was starting to get dark at this point, and we took off from 6L/24R over lake Erie. Halfway into the flight it was completely dark, so not much to see.

A beverage service is offered and I opt for the 2012 Tropicana "Premimum" Orange Juice, followed by the napkin service.

The flight went by very fast - only about an hour and 25 minutes in the air. Landing into EWR at night, ahead of time, it looked like the problems were now, finally behind me. Rolling up to the gate, taking my time, I had about 3 hours to explore one of the EWR united lounges.

For chirstmas, I received three passes as gifts. I wasn't sure which club to check out, but went for the one in the C90s - the "donut" one above the food court. I walked in, presented the pass, and the woman mentioned to me "Must have been a christmas present". I was kind of expecting her to say no, can't take these or no, these aren't even real. But she signs it and says welcome. I ask, as politely as possible, if she can see if there are any E+ window seats open on my flight to Oslo, explaining to her that I'm star silver and I thought that that would let me pick them. She mentions to me it looks like they are all filled up, and nothing she can do. I thank her, and go into the lounge.

In terms of offering, the lounge is really sparse. There are crackers, buttered and non-buttered. Goldfish crackers, apples and bananas and carrots, and chocolate covered pretzels. This is apparently what I've been missing out on.

There is however Sam Adams on draft complimentary, which I do take advantage of once or four times.

I did rather enjoy the layout. It has a nice view overlooking the food court, but I would much rather be looking out at planes.

With it being Christmas day, I'm kind of surprised by how many people are actually on this flight.

About an hour out, I decide to leave the club and head to a CSR desk one last time to try and get an E+ seat.

Around 6:45 I head down, and am the only one in line. I explain my situation to the CSR, and he says "come over here." We head next door to one of the Kiosk. He puts in my information, and says "select a seat." I pick the one I want and it says "$119." I mention the star silver, still at this point not sure if I'm supposed to get it like I did in houston and chicago or if they were just being nice to me. He shakes his head no - apparently that is for Star Gold members only (which I don't think is true). "You need to fly more, as he lets out a fake chuckle"

I leave, and in about 15 seconds am at my gate. They are actually boarding priority members at this time. I pull out my passport and am waved onto the plane. For me, this was really the starting point of my trip. It actually hit me, I'm going on a long-haul flight finally. And that is just happened so seamlessly (from the CSR) rep it didn't actually hit me. I make my way down to seat 27A, and plop down, ready to do this.

Until a man comes down and says I'm in his seat.

(Me) "Uh...27A I have..."
(Him) "This is 28A...."

What is going on here? I swear these airplanes must have dynamic seating configurations where the rows magically change after you sit. I just made that same mistake 3 hours ago. How does that happen.

I get up, move up to 27A, sit down again, and am now ready for the "Trip" to begin.

Last edited by BThumme; Jan 14, 2013 at 8:32 am