FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motion Failed 23 Jan 2013 - Create an Airlines of Mainland China Forum
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:54 pm
CX HK

Originally Posted by lin821
ETA:
BTW, I don't know if there's enough support for this proposed forum among TBers but I like TB uses a clear forum name for this motion to include only PRC airlines.

I may be nitpicking but I doubt PRC refers to themselves as "Mainland" China. As far as I know, none of the "westerners" use "Mainland" to describe PRC airlines. Only people in Taiwan refer to PRC as "Mainland" because of the history between China and Taiwan. I haven't encountered enough PRC folks but I learn they use "inland" (內地) when it comes down to geographical reference. Since this motion is about airlines per se, instead of destination and/or geography, why not just call a horse a horse, "China-based Airlines Forum" or "Airlines of People's Republic of China Forum?"
Not really - almost no one uses the term "inland" outside of China/HKG/MAC/Taiwan, but "Mainland China" is an often-used term in newspapers to refer to China excluding the aforementioned places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainland_China