FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex-US Presidents (and their spouses) to be indefinitely exempted from TSA screening
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:24 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I agree with Castrobenes, however - regardless of the past, I think it highly unlikely that Bush or Obama will ever fly commercial after leaving office. Their children might (but they will be bypassing security as long as they are enjoying the benefits of taxpayer-funded SS protection, as the Bush girls still are), but the ex-Presidents will not.

Part of the transition of the POTUS to aristocratic status in this country.

I disagree about the value of the former heads-of-state as targets - here or elsewhere in the world, and I disagree even more with the value of their wives and children and vice-presidents (Obama signed off on making Cheney the first VP in history to get SS protection, $1 million monthly) as targets.

Certainly not a lifetime risk, or anywhere close to it, and certainly not enough of a risk to justify housing, cars, first-class plane tickets, etc. for groups of high-paid professionals to accompany the former POTUS and his wife, even when they are apart (most couples do spend plenty of time apart as well as together, Laura Bush isn't a mountain biker, George doesn't lunch with the ladies) - a costly endeavor now extended to adult children for indefinite periods of time.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm