FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex-US Presidents (and their spouses) to be indefinitely exempted from TSA screening
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:44 pm
castrobenes

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Since they would be flying with Secret Service, this would have the effect of exempting them from TSA screening.
Lots of things have lots of effects. The title and post were disingenuous and designed to make it sound like a law was passed with the purpose of exempting former presidents from TSA screening.

[URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/492887-how-do-former-president-heads-state-travel.html"]Has something changed?
This surprises me. I still bet that neither W or Obama will be traveling commercial, and those are the beneficiaries.

I will defend the law. Former presidents (both the ones I like and dislike) are important symbolic targets. Lots of people would like to make a name for themselves and hurt the country by attacking them. It is in the national interest that they are protected.

I won't address the screening part of this. You are free to debate it, but I am not.

castro