FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF launches Economy Mini class
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:10 pm
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
You may get some high level direction from that and you may also get some insight into decisions that were made in the previous years. But that isn't going to give you access to proprietary market analysis and certainly not detailed corporate strategic decisions that are happening right now.
It is accepted wisdom in the airline industry and by all airlines that in order to make the LCC model work a whole range of costs needs to be addressed and that mixing an LCC-style offering with costs created by having services/processes/back office related to non-LCC offerings (FFP, customer service, high sales costs, etc) does not work. It is also accepted wisdom that making customers pay for certain elements of the offering is not sufficient to make an LCC model work.

I don't need any insight into analyses and strategic decisions to confirm this.

There obviously is a possibility that AF is the first company to break that logic, but I cannot imagine how and that precisely is why I ask all those that find this such a great idea from a strategic point of view to sketch how it could work (at least in theory, we can then still wait for reality to prove us right or wrong). Without such a line of reasoning I find it hard to give much merit to that point of view.