FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most overrated tourist attractions in the world
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:30 am
ukdweller

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Surprised to see Cape Town listed. The pictures seem so pretty. When I was there the weather was bad and hardly saw anything. The town seemed cute though.

Table Mountain is the real overrated "attraction". I am not denying that Cape Town is pretty but not as pretty as some South Africans make it out to be.If you are talking about scale Mount Wellington is higher than Table Mountain.
Table mountain is actually a fairly unattractive rock/boulder. There are many places with rocky outcrops as a back drop; they can be seen all over the world, for example Spain. San Francisco is very scenic as is Vancouver and Santorini addition to Hobart and Rio. We have places in the UK such as the Lake District which are absolutely stunning.

I read all the hype and when I visited I thought Cape Town was pretty like thousands of other sea resorts, but nothing more. Table Mountain on the other hand was a big let down and I was expecting something more attractive with the wow factor.