FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TLV and Israeli security discussion
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:35 am
tharris

Programs: NW plat
Thumper. thanks for a great reply to DavenM's post. It sounds to me like he was either a very difficult passenger (one that any airport would give additional screening) or, more likely, never there.

I travel through TLV several times each year. The last experience, which was a few weeks ago, was again quick and efficient. My (Arab) cab driver and I were waved right through and I love that I don't have to remove my shoes.

In contrast, my connection at JFK was terrible. Poorly or totally unmarked areas that made it very difficult to find my connecting gate (eventually there were five of us in a little band trying to find it) and conflicting information from every airport employee we asked. TLV requires a long hike, but it is very clearly marked. When I got to the security check I found I had the dreaded "SSSS", meaning additional screening. The lone boarding pass screener kept calling for a supervisor, but none came, so the line behind me got longer and angrier. After several minutes, I was taken for the additional screening. I was surprised and dismayed to see when I was unpacking that night that, when switching some carry-on with some checked luggage (basically trying to avoid carrying the pounds of chocolate bought from the TLV duty-free), I had moved a knife (Leatherman-type) to my carry-on bag. The "additional screening" at JFK missed it. I am MUCH more comfortable with TLV's screening and entire security procedures.

It does take some time to get through the airport, especially during the periods with many planes leaving (midnight is busy), but it is not unpleasant.