FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Coversion Should Be Illegal
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:42 am
gil123

No- You should NEVER select DCC. That's the whole point. And unless you notice how the charge is going through at the point of sale, you won't necessarily notice anything on your credit card statements. Checking my Chase card, both the charges that went through in XCD and those the merchant converted against my will to USD show up as USD without the conversion noted. And to be honest, your average American on vaca in the Caribbean probably does appreciate seeing it price out in USD (or wants to be able to pay in US cash), not caring if he is losing some in the process. But for the rest of us, we should have the choice and not have to dispute with the card issuers every little transaction.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Of course, this is if you consider most mom-and-pop stores or front-line employees who do not have an MBA to figure this out as well.

Have you tried explaining the intricate details of DCC and how credit card processing works to a 75 year old youth hostel inn keeper in the Chung King Mansions or the minimum wage earning cashier in a major Portuguese supermarket chain in Lisbon, Portugal to be adept at these things? You usually get blank stares.

It's faster and less stress to:

1. Always select DCC (primary stand ground)
2. Accept that $hit happens when the charge comes out wrong; don't get frustrated over it
3. Keep your foreign credit card transaction receipts
4. Mail copies of any objectionable ones to your issuer when you get back to your home country (secondary stand ground)
5. It'll eventually clear itself out

Just like my experience with an Indian Restaurant in an upscale area of Delhi, India. Took a while, but it eventually came back correctly.