FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Viewline Resort Snowmass, Autograph Collection (formerly Westin) [Master Thread]
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:29 am
baburai

Programs: Southwest, SPG, AA, IHG, Club Carlson
I stayed here with family for 4 nights during the thanksgiving weekend in Nov 12, just a week after they opened.

+ves
1. I am a (new) platinum. They did not seem very busy and we were upgraded to a true one bedroom suite on the fifth floor with a nice view of the ski slope right outside out window. The room and all the details inside were really nice.

2. The employees seemed extremely eager to help in any way they can. In my (short) experience so far, this has not been very common. It seemed very refreshing that everybody from the Service Desk Manager to the table waiter and the room service employee was treating you as if you are a very special guest. Not sure if this was a function of the hotel being new or not and whether this will be there when you visit.

3. I was comped $25/day for breakfast at the restaurant in lieu of the platinum amenity of continental breakfast (which we didn't care for much).

4. The location of this resort is excellent. You can take an elevator to the Snowmass Mall. There is a free gondola outside that will take you downhill. Down there you have pretty much everything you need for skiing. My 4yo daughter took some ski classes at "Treehouose" and, in her own words, learned to "fall down". I gather that she had a good time there.

Neutral
5. The hotel restaurant overlooks the ski slope and the baby gondola (the free one). The chef is very skilled and the items come out perfect. However, the menu is somewhat uninspired and generic continental. There are lots of other food choices (the hotel is an elevator ride away from the mall), none of which we found to be really great. Most places are somewhat overprices (some way overpriced) and offering pretty generic and nothing-too-great fare.

-ves
I hate to get to the -ves given the overwhelmingly positive overall experience we had in this trip. However, there were some negatives that I need to mention for the sake of honesty.
6. The hotel operations seemed to have some growing pains. My room telephone did not work for all 4 nights we were there. When we leave trays (and other stuff) outside, they were not cleaned as frequently as we would like. Sometimes it took an entire day for it to be cleaned up. The front desk was not sure how they will treat the "platinum breakfast amenity" till the very end when we were going to check out, after which they decided to comp us $25/day in restaurant credit.
7. The hotel layout is not stroller/wheelchair friendly. The hotel is huge and very spread out. You have to juggle between two elevators situated pretty far apart in order to reach most of the areas in the hotel. The only "stroller friendly" connections these two elevators have (i.e. no steps) is in the 5th floor. Going to breakfast in the morning (from our room to the hotel restaurant) was a pretty good walk for us.

Last edited by baburai; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:34 am