FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:33 am
roberino

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Here's another. I have (or had, I've since parked it) a 2007 Pontiac G6 in a state of disrepair. Recently, a coolant leak developed. I'd had to replace the coolant a few times but on December 11th when I was driving it to RDU I hadn't checked it recently. I had gone about 4 miles out of the 14 it takes me to get to the airport and was motoring along the US 70 freeway at about 65 MPH when I happened to glance down and saw my temperature gauge was way above normal and almost into the red. I pulled over and decided to pour more coolant in. Ever taken off the radiator cap when the car is hot? I hadn't and now I know why they tell you not too. It was like old faithful shooting out of my engine. A geyser of water, coolant and steam. Woulda been a real sight if it wasn't coming out of damn car.

Long story short, I got some coolant in but not enough to cool down the engine. I found the car wouldn't go above 40 without starting to overheat so I took the backroads to RDU which meant parking at the terminal not offsite (double the cost).

I parked the car permanently a week later. Now I'm trying to see what I can get for a 2007 with half a dozen dents and dings, 94,000 miles on the click, an expired registration (it'll need two tires to pass), a broken taillight and a coolant leak
A five year old car with a serious coolant leak? And people wonder why the American car industry is in trouble...