FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Breaking up with Marriott
View Single Post
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:27 pm
USirritated

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by EEH
I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property. I have received a suite upgrade at the Portland Or, City Center twice in the month of Dec and a large corner room at the Seattle Water Front Marriott, stays were weekday in Dec (this month).

There are only so many of these sleeping rooms to go around and if they have not been purchased and if the hotel is light on guest(s) it has been my experience that I get a very nice upgrade. I never count on a suite but I do get them and I appreciate the nod to my status when I do.
Actually, it can go either way. If they are experiencing light occupancy, they will be more likely to have suites to spare, so suite upgrades for elites may be easier to come by for elites. And if they are experiencing heavy occupancy, but no one is paying for better rooms, they may run short of regular rooms, but have suites to spare, so that may mean suite upgrades for elites are easier to get.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That kind of attitude does not engender loyalty and is contrary to my experience. I occasionally receive a 1BR or suite upgrade on 1 night business stays, but never on multi-night stays on repeat visits. If I were to guess it would be that a hotel that is near capacity is more likely to upgrade me for one night rather than forego the revenue on multiple nights. Of course that is exactly the opposite of what the customer wants.
I've received suites for one night stays, and also for longer stays, it just depends on the circumstances when I check in. I have also had split stays in suites, for example on a seven night stay in Renaissance Las Vegas where the front desk said there are no suites available for the first three nights, but the last four nights are available for a suite, and would I like to move. Of course I said yes.

As far as repeat visits go, I have found that suites are more likely for repeat visits, especially at hotels where I have been often. For example I have stayed at the Washington DC Marriott Wardman Park many, many times, and I have probably been put in suites there on 85% of my stays, from two days to nine days, and they always greet me there as a returning guest.

A few visits ago at the Wardman Park, the FD Mgr. checked me in, and mentioned that I was going to pass the 75 night mark for that year on that stay, and not only was I getting a suite, but that the hotel wanted to express it's appreciation for me spending my 75th night at Wardman, and gave me two restaurant vouchers for $40 each plus free valet parking for my stay. Some hotels just go above and beyond for Plats. I sent them a thank you note after my stay.