FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:00 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by samnc0
I know there are stories out there concerning accounts being shut down due to perceived fraud, or even Chase Ink getting concerened about OD additions of visa gift cards on their account....how do you stay clear of any events triggering fraud.

Right now I am planning to get 1-2 $480 to $500 ( each) visa gift cards at OD and then loading them at CVS with VR...are these transactions small enough so as not to trigger some kind of review? I have no need for more VR amounts.
Chase has no idea what you're buying at Office Depot - they only see the transaction amount. Now if you are doing the same transaction amount at OD every few days and not using the card anywhere else, that might pique someone's interests if the account is flagged for a check - and if they put two and two together, they might figure out what you're doing, but buying Visa gift cards is not a violation of the cardmember agreement or Visa terms, no rules are being broken here. Chase and Visa earn the transaction fee regardless of whether you buy gift cards or pencils....and OD likely earns at least a small profit from Vanilla or Amex when you buy a gift card - but there is a chance the processing fee OD pays on a large gift card purchase won't cover their revenue from the purchase, so the only party likely to shut you down is Office Depot or CVS - and that would/could happen if some people continue to show greed over restraint.

As long as the OD/CVS purchases remain an indistinguishable amount of store revenue flow, it's unlikely to get shut down - the Vanilla Reload cards sent people pouring into OD stores in an uncontrolled orgy of greed, and that's why you don't see the reload cards there anymore. Do the same at CVS, and either the reload cards or the ability to buy them with credit will be gone there too.