FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: flight connections
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:32 pm
WillTravel

Follow-up on my layover.
My flight was late, but eventually I got out of the airport. Following the signs at E got me outside Terminal C. At first I could not find where to call for the shuttle, but it is there inside.
I went to the Doubletree, and they do have a nice treed courtyard/pool area.
I had lunch at Derrick's Oil Salon restaurant, which opens at 2. The $5 Texas chili was fine.
A nice empty spot to hang out. I walked for a bit and discovered the Presidential Plaza, a strip mall with mostly restaurants, but also a cigar store and liquor store. Godfather's Pizza, cheap Chinese food, cheap donairs, and the Hoot County Saloon. Behind this strip mall is a large field with a wooden giraffe.
Across from the Doubletree is a Sheraton, and I actually took that shuttle back, as I was nearby and saw it loading up.
Around the same area are several parking operations and an office building, plus more hotels.
All in all, it was nice to be outside and poke around for a bit. But my late start and nervousness about getting back in time made it shorter than anticipated.
So there you go -- a trip report about the area at one edge of Houston airport.