FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread
Old Dec 25, 2012, 3:19 pm
NY-FLA

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Correct; no more "0" or "3". Not sure if they simply removed it from the bar code. This supports my theory that your "approval" is not stored in the bar code, but is actually looked up, in real-time, when your BP is scanned.
Wrong, wrong and wrong. Yup, there's the 3 on my decoded BP for tomorrow's flight. (Thanks for the correct info, SuperG1955)

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
<snip>...

I have a difficult time believing that the TSA would rely on only a coded bar code.

Anyone could re-generate the bar code on their boarding pass to get the three beeps.
And I have a difficult time believing that a rational individual, capable of the tiniest amount of critical thought, who has observed the last 10 years of TSA idiocy, a long, varied list of institutionalized buffoonery, would think TSA would be capable of designing a system that performed as TSA intended.

Current result is travellers can predetermine whether they will get 3 beeps, barring scanner malfunction. AFAIK travellers have not yet been able to regenerate codes to inject a 3 beep result.

Whether it's the one beep or three beep variety, for a number of highly visible and obvious reasons, airport security, as currently acted out in the US, has little bearing on the actual security outcome.