FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:26 am
CPRich
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by USirritated
Now that Plat members receive a 50% points bonus on stays (as opposed to the previous 30% from a few years back), it makes 2 million points much easier than before, and when you add in a few years of Mega bonus and other bonuses, 2 million points just do not seem difficult to me anymore on a reasonable 10 year time frame
Yes, I had thought about both increased bonuses and inflation on rooms netting more points per night for everyone. I still think the 2666/night is high, given that 2500/night was high just 3 years ago. But I also didn't go back to the 2000/night (750/1.5M) - putting it somewhere in the middle. I'm sure MR has more data points than I to find a happy medium. I'm at about 2280/night, so 1.6-1.7M seems right if I'm typical.

Either way, 2M seems high and I suspect points are back to the limiting factor for most folks, as it was pre-2009.

EDIT: Interestingly, CJKatl is at 2,667-2,695, so maybe MR is on target. Maybe my "typical" stays are on the low side.

In any case, it's a bit academic for me. I've moved from looking to hit Gold in a couple years to well in excess of Platinum in just three years due to the program changes. Now I'm interested in whether there will be anything special other than the status. I must admit, the metal SPG lifetime PLT card is a great little brand loyalty-building trinket.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 22, 2012 at 8:33 am