FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyWorld

Who: Consulting and software development.

When: Due to the hostility of the CO management regime toward elite flyers, and the subsequent drastic cut in upgrade opportunities after 3/3, I no longer have a clear status goal beyond Gold. I don't see that the marginal benefit is worth the cost anymore. I'll fly when I need to fly, push all spending to other carriers as much as it is reasonable to do so, and if I have any goal, it'll just be Gold - after many years as a GS/1K.

How: Mostly driven by work plus a few personal trips each year. Never done a MR. This regime has never given me a bonus EQM offer. Don't do the card based miles. Until 3/3, I was 100% loyal to UA metal, only *A where UA didn't fly. Now, I'm 100% loyal to non-UA *A metal, only flying UA when it's the fastest and cheapest option. Have enjoyed getting acquainted with LH. Not sure of YTD spend, but it's way, way, way down from prior years because I no longer see any value in exchange and am fed up with the anti-elite stance that tends to focus on penalties for being an elite and rewards for being low-value.

Where: LIH, DEL, FRA, MUC, LHR, MCO, LIS, ORD in the last quarter. Too hard to find anything earlier on the new web site.

Why: For upgrades. That's it. Now that upgrades are gone for me, I see no point.

What: For last 10 years, 100% loyal to sUA, with target of maintaining 1K. Now, target is Gold, which I should achieve naturally without any special planning or effort. Major changes: For the first time in a decade, my spend will be focused on non-UA as first priority and UA only as last resort. And, no longer seeking to qualify for 1K. They wanted to get rid of my over-entitled butt in their seats, they've done it.