FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:03 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Who: I conduct research, consult, give presentations, prepare papers and edit books for various international development agencies, foundations and policy institutes regarding the interface between law and development, particularly how the poor and other disadvantaged populations can expand and make use of their rights. The mix of organizations and where I go for them varies a lot, but in recent years has included the World Bank, Amnesty International, the Open Societies Foundations and the U.K. Department for International Development. On a part-time basis, I also teach courses on these topics in the U.S. and Europe. More importantly, I am a big SF 49er fan and an even bigger Springsteen fan.

When: Still struggling to get MP credit for a J trip to Australia on AC earlier this year, so opted to plunk down $200 earlier this month to buy the PQMs that put me over the top for 1K for next year.

How: Mostly international travel in J and upgraded Y to Asia for consultancies and to Europe for conferences, but occasionally go to other parts of the world as well. Also some domestic Y (generally upgraded) travel for work and play (most often to the East Coast), as well as to tag along with my wife when her work takes here to cities where I can also do some work (often DC) and/or play (such as New Orleans).

Why: For the status that has (at least in the past) gotten me domestic and international upgrades and for the miles that my wife and I use for just about all of our international vacations.

What: In view of the deterioration I've seen in UA and MP, looking toward 2014 I'm significantly cutting back my UA travel in 2013 favor of AA and its OW alliance partners. This will end my nearly 20 years of 1K status. I'm finding much better reliability and customer service as an AA EXP these days than as a UA 1K; in addition, the AA FF program (for the most part) is leaving MP increasingly in the dust. The upshot is that I'll still have my lifetime Plat status on UA (unless UA changes the rules for that), but 1K is very unlikely unless there is a definite uptick in UA, MP and/or my amount of travel in 2013.

That being said, the fly in this ointment could be whether AA merges with US, what that might mean for the things I like about AA, and how soon any resulting changes become obvious.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Dec 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm