FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:12 pm
cricketer

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Who: Work: digital local products. Play: Cricket, of course.

When: Hit 1K about 10 minutes into SFO-LAX on the night of 12/19

How: Work travel is mostly domestic, including a lot of SFO-BUR/LAX hops. Pleasure travel this year was a lot of fun - cashed in some miles and flew LH F on the A380, new F on the 744 and new F on the A346; TG F on the leased 77W, TG C on the A380 and a bunch of other good stuff. Also flew ex-CO aircraft for the first time, including in C on the 777, so added a lot to my list this year.

Where: For work: SFO, SJC, LAS, LAX, BUR, STL, JFK, ATL, MSY; for pleasure: SIN, HKG, PER, ADL, ORD, JFK/EWR, DEN; in transit only: BKK, NRT, FRA, CDG, IAH

Why: Over the last couple of years I realised that status had become a goal as much as a consequence for me. This year I truly learned the value of it, as I changed my F award ticket about 20 times right up to the day before departure as plans and better options changed. Try doing that without being a 1K (or Platinum I guess).

What: I thought 1K would be tough this year, but I travelled a bit more than expected for work, and a trip to HKG made the difference. Next year looks even tougher. Only one leisure trip planned, and I can't see more than 20-30K of work travel. However, I am determined to make it at least up to Platinum, so that I can use my miles without dealing with fees, so if it's looking tough come November 2013, I'll be doing some mileage runs I think.