FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:00 am
Mommy Points
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by HikerT
I'd say the jury is still out until we hear of BoardingArea bloggers that weren't automatically approved by FlexOffers.

As far as helping noobs, I am not saying there aren't bloggers out there with noble intentions, but once the affiliate income starts to roll in we do see behavior change. I provided a pretty good example of that with one blogger suggesting readers use their 10K affiliate links for Ink over the 5K offer. But hey, if people aren't willing to call a spade a spade in that instance I doubt they'd be convinced of anything.
HikerT, my guess here is that hitting spending requirements is so second nature and easy for you via various routes that perhaps the essence of the post really didn't make sense to you. I think I get that. However, as strange as it may seem for you, there are lots of folks out there who will have trouble hitting a $10K or even $5K spending requirement in 3 months and they would rather just pick up some miles upon the first use of the card.

At the time that post was written, that was possible with one (the old) offer, but would not be with the new one. It would then be an all or nothing proposition to hit the spending requirement to get the bonus points. I have many readers who don't feel comfortable doing anything other than traditional use of the card to rack up spending, so even 5K can be too much for some. The post simply presented the two options and highlighted the pros/cons of the two. Not sure why presenting the two available options irritated you so much, but apologies if it did.

I think I have weighed in on the FlexOffers thing before, but my understanding is there might have been a brief period of time where being a BA blog was an automatic or fast-track route with FO, but my understanding is they quickly returned to vetting each blog individually. I'm sure being a part of BA helps on some level as they are familiar with other BA blogs, but my understanding is it isn't an auto-approval stamp.

Not sure what that really has to do with what "the most useful frequent flyer blog is", but still hope it helps someone none the less.