FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo, Italy [Master Thread]
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:14 pm
BKKLEE
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
good report - THXs
has Naples got their no one's picking up the garbage situation under control??????

Originally Posted by loneraven
I stayed at the Renaissance Naples Hotel for 5 nights towards the end of November, and here's a quick review.

The good:

1. Hotel location is perfect for exploring the islands, as it is only a 10-minute walk from the ferries;
2. The National Archaeological Museum is also close by, about a 15-minute walk north along Via Toledo;
3. No lounge but free breakfast for Gold/Plat at the rooftop restaurant, which as other have mentioned has a great view of the city as well as the harbor;
4. Was offered a coupon for 20% off dinner on two occasions by staff serving breakfast, which was on top of the 10% off meals that they applied to all my restaurant expenses at check-out. The food at the restaurant was nothing to write home about, but ok for someone who did not want to venture out the hotel at night;
5. Plenty of good local restaurants nearby.

The bad:

1. Staff, depending on who you run into, can be either very helpful & polite or extremely rude. One woman working at the front desk had that "get-lost" look on her face when I inquired about where to take a taxi to the train station. But the Bell staff was wonderful-he walked me to the taxi station and made sure I was getting the flat rate (10.50 euros);
2. No wireless access in room (only wired). However, you can borrow a wireless router from the front desk. They put a 40 euros charge on your account but will take it off when you return the equipment;
3. As others have mentioned, taxi drivers in Naples will rip you off every chance they get. You need to make sure you negotiate the rate with them before you get in. I didn't do that and was charged 22 euros for the 1.5-mile ride from the train station to the hotel.

Knowing Naples' reputation for pickpockets, I was very careful when I went out and mostly stuck to the areas near the hotel, which largely seemed very safe. I definitely wouldn't mind going back to Naples and staying at the same hotel again.