FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:24 pm
Cerebral

Programs: AA EXP, TSA Pre, Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold
Wink Red Eye on Feb. 28th - which bucket of SWUs will they pull from?

I am taking the SFO-MIA red eye on Feb. 28th (arriving MIA March 1st). I applied a SWU for that flight, which was confirmed. I have 4 SWUs expiring on Feb. 28th, 2013 and all 8 that expire on Feb. 28th, 2014. Which lot will they pull from? I checked my balance after confirming the SWU and it has not changed for either bucket yet.

Note this language from the aa.com SWU FAQs:
Q: How long are my systemwide upgrades valid?
A: Upgrades that were earned based on your 2011 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2013. Upgrades earned based on your 2012 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2014. So, the earlier in the year that you qualify or requalify for Executive Platinum membership, the longer you will have to use your systemwide upgrades. All travel using a systemwide upgrade must be completed by the expiration date. Upgrades will expire at 12:00 midnight (CT) on the date shown.

Based on the last two sentances, they could pull it from my new SWUs since my travel is technically not complete until March 1st.

Any experience with this? I would hate to be using a new one, when I have plenty of SWUs that are valid through Feb. 28th, 2013.