FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First rewards card advice...
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:18 pm
sarcazmo

Originally Posted by gk17
Welcome to FT.

Before jumping on those credit cards since you mentioned traveling internationally and domestically, which airline is that for? Chase and other banks offer bonus miles which you can take more advantage of in the beginning. Sapphire Preferred is still a good choice as it allows you to transfer those points to airlines plus you get 20% point redemption rate for travel rewards.

Yes, you do get extra points if you book through the Chase ultimate Rewards Mall. It varies depending on which site you go for (Travelocity, Expedia, etc.).

What do you mean you"usually" pay off your balance every month? You should pay it off in full every month. No point getting interest charges and not sure how, if any, it will affect your credit. I always pay in full.

That is correct. As long as you sign up for those quarterly bonuses, you can get an additional 4 points per dollar plus your original 1 point per dollar spent.

Depending on how long your credit history is and what's your FICO credit score, you might want to look into getting cards from Citi and American Express also.
When I say usually I just mean some particularly busy months it might carry a small balance a few hundred or so. (usually from small purchases like gas) I never let big purchases sit.

Honestly I dont have a preferred airline. I usually just go online and look for the best deal and book it.

Just refinanced my house and I believe my credit score was in the 760s.

Funny you bring up AMEX. I just got my mail and I've "been selected to apply for the Premier Rewards Gold Card." Whats interesting is they're offering 50,000 points if I spend 1000 in eligible purchases. Which would be easy considering the aforementioned trip to honduras. Since its a charge card it would definitely simplify it. I dont see myself spending 30k a year on this card though.

Which citi cards were you thinking?