FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First rewards card advice...
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 am
sarcazmo

First rewards card advice...

I'm looking to get my first 'rewards' card and am looking for a bit of advice.

I've only ever had one credit card that I received through my credit union. Just the type of guy I am I don't like the idea of having multiple cards and its easier to keep track of my spending.

The other day I was looking through my statement and realized there is no real benefit to using this card. No real incentives.

I REALLY love to travel. Sometimes domestic, sometimes international. Just got back from Belize 3 weeks ago which was amazing! I'm currently in the planning stages to go to Honduras in May.

Started doing some research online and came across the chase sapphire preferred credit card. Seemed to be exactly what I'm looking for!

I probably go on 5-6 trips a year and it seems like this card has a fairly simple straightforward approach which appeals to me. Also if I'm not misunderstanding if you book travel through the UR site you get 3-1 points? Is doing it that way competitive compared to booking it through other websites?

Initially I was planning on this card (if I decide to go with it) to be my new one card. I usually pay off the balance every month. I probably wont close the other one but I will pay it off.

I came across an article that talked about the Chase freedom card. Apparently there are promotions every quarter that are worth 5-1 points with the freedom card, and you can add the points earned with that card to the same account as your Sapphire preferred... Am I understanding that right?

If so would you recommend applying for both (after a few months grace period perhaps)? I'd rather buy gas and get 5-1 than 1-1!

Thanks for this great resource! I had no idea how much information was available and how little I know!