FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peanuts not served on flight because a passenger had peanut allergy
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:09 am
TravelGal2779

Originally Posted by JerryFF
If you are diabetic, I would assume that you would choose not to rely on airplane cuisine to manage your diet.

Originally posted by lovely15
"Personally, I'm just tired of everyone's issues affecting me. I have enough problems of my own to deal with, and no one's bending over backwards to help me with those. I can't emotionally handle other people's health problems. That's what happened to my empathy."

I think that pretty much sums up many of the conflicts in our society today.
I'd also like to add that if you are diabetic, I'd like to think you have additional plans to monitor your glucose, other than peanuts. I have family members who manage their diabetes using other food items.

Likewise, I have a shrimp allergy which runs in my family. On a United EWR-LAS flight last month, three of us were served shrimp cocktail with our meals but we have the pleasure of simply not eating it to avoid any reaction. However, one of those same family members also has an allergy to walnuts. Coincidentally, on the return flight, we received a nuts packet with walnuts in it. She was asleep, but when I opened my pack and saw walnuts, I immediately took her bag and alerted the flight attendant and gave her both bags. Crisis resolved.

I feel inclined to think those without a food allergy lack the empathy necessary to understand how detrimental this can truly be and how it impacts your life. There is no need to place blame on something that is not the fault of the human, other than its body overreacting.