FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do people enjoy about Bangkok?
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:26 am
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yosithezet
As dsquared37 said, the map just confuses them. They don't know how to read a map. Note that they aren't using GPS in the vehicle. The best that I can tell is that they are traveling by association. So if I want to go to the Westin and they aren't sure where exactly I will give the soi off Sukhumvit but I'll also name a nearby landmark like Robinsons. I find Singapore exactly the opposite.
Interesting. I realize that the English skills of many Thai taxi drivers is quite limited, so I figured having the address printed in Thai symbols (sometimes along with a map provided by the hotel for exactly this purpose) would help, but apparently not. Any other ideas on how to effectively communicate where you want to go?

Originally Posted by yosithezet
For me, and I think for many others who return to BKK again and again, we cease to be tourists and start to become travelers. While we are there we just live in the city rather than visit it to see the sites. When you were in Israel were you mostly going to tourist sites or were you grabbing a falafel at the little Yeminite hole in the wall place at the top of Rav Kook in Jersualem? I'm totally at a loss for what you find interesting about Singapore and I've lived here for a year and a half. The tourist sites of Bangkok will be nice once but getting a feel for the ebb and flow of the city and becoming a part of that is where BKK becomes more appealing.
Indeed I try to take a similar approach and aim to soak up the local atmosphere by just walking around, visiting local markets, popping into 7/11 or a supermarket and stopping at a local restaurant to get a bite to eat.

Iīll admit that I didnīt eat any street food in BKK, but did walk around by myself for several hours trying to get a feel for the city, visited a few markets, looked at a few shops, but honestly didnīt particularly enjoy it.

Probably surprising I tend to quite enjoy strolling around in Singapore - being able to experience various different subcultures (Malaysian quarter, Chinatown, Litte India) or just sit in the park, good shopping, great dining options, friendly and helpful people.