FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TR - Mostly Star Alliance SYD-CPH the long way
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:44 am
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Bordeaux

I know it's not a flight, more of those soon.

But Bordeaux was a fantastic holiday destination. I talked before about my itineraries being those of bars (I'll be back San Francisco), Restaurants and night spots (New York, New York), but travelling this time with the other half the itinerary covered every shoe shop in Bordeaux, and not a bad attempt at covering every shoe shop in Paris. In Paris we saw Pandora (if you don't know what Pandora is then I bet you don't have daughters) who make an Eiffel Tower charm. We thought this would be a good gift for our daughters so sought o bought 2. Unfortunately they are new and hence out of stock. So I think we DID visit every Pandora outlet in Paris and definitely DID visit every Pandora outlet in Bordeaux.

I can recommend a couple of fine restaurants in Bordeaux that went a fair way to compensate for the shopping outings. La Tupina (the restaurant, not the cafe) does the best Foie Gra Poelete that one can imagine and the wine list was the most amazing I've seen outside of Paris. I enjoyed a 1962 Armagnac with dessert. 1962 being a very fine year for Armagnac and people. (or so say I).

Le Chapon Fin is a Michelin star restaurant. If you live in Sydney and know of the Blue Grotto you will know the tacky concrete facade intended to look like a grotto, but instead looks like a mad man's attempt to make something of chicken wire and old concrete. Well Le Chapon Fin has the same thing inside, but for some reason, in this corner of France it doesn't look tacky.

Speaking of tacking, the name Le Chapon Fin sounds sort of classy (especially when said with a french accent), in english in means the chook with its balls cut off. The French do have a way with words.

But the highlight of the meal was a bottle of 1998 Chateaux d'Yquem. It went well with Foie Gras Poelete and even managed to cope with a rich chocolare dessert. This is the most amazing wine.

This was our last night in Bordeax and tomorrow was a flight from the cut priced Billi terminal in Bordeaux to visit my family in Italy. So the next part of this trip report covered the only direct flight between Bordeaux and Milano - EasyJet. Stand by,